Licensed Social Worker
Licensed Social Worker
Mind /Body Suggested Reading
- Albers, S. (2003). Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating & Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food. CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Ahearn, F. L. (Ed.). (2001). Issues in Global Global Aging. NY: The Haworth Press.
- Colleran, C. & Jay, D. (2002). Aging & Addiction: Helping Older Adults Overcome Addiction and Medication dependence. MN: Hazelden Publications.
- Coulter, D. (2004). Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners. Delhi, India: Motilal Banarsidass Publishers.
- Epstein, G. (1989). Healing Visualizations: Creating Health Through Imagery. NY: Bantam Books.
- Falloon-Goodhew, P. (2002). Yoga For Living: Stay Young. NY: Dorling Kindersley.
- Folan, L. (2005). Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age. Rodale Press.
- Friend, J. (1999, 2002). Anusara Yoga Teacher Training Manual. TX: Anusara Press.
- Griffin, K. (2004). One Breath at a Time : Buddhism and The Twelve Steps. NY: St. Martin’s Press.
- Iyengar, B.K.S. (1966). Light On Yoga. NY: Schoken Books
- Iyengar, B.K.S. (2001). Yoga : The Path to Holistic Health. NY : Dorling Kindersley.
- Kabat-Zin, J. (1991). Full Catastrophe Living. NY: Delta.
- Kogler, A. (1999). Yoga for Athletes. MA: Llewellyn Publications.
- Kelder, P. (1998). Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth. NY: Doubleday.
- Kraftsow, G. (2002). Yoga for Transformation. NY: Penguin Compass.
- Payne, L. & Usatine, R. (2002). Yoga Rx. NY: Broadway Books.
- Ruiz, D. (1997). The Four Agreements. CA: Amber-Allen Publishing
- Sarno, J. (2006). The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders. NY: HarperCollins.
- Satchidananda, S.S. (2005). The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita. VA: Integral Yoga Publications.
- Satchidananda, S.S. (1978). The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. VA: Integral Yoga Publications.
- Shapiro, D. (2006). Your Body Speaks Your Mind. CO: Sounds True.
- Tolle, E. (1999). The Power of Now. CA: New World Library.
- Rowe, J.W. & Kahn, R.L. (1998). Successful Aging. NY: Dell.
- Shafer, K. & Dolan, Y. (Nov. 2, 2003). Still Ageless After All These Years: Harm Reduction with Older Adults. A Solution-focused Substance Abuse Prevention Scale for Older Adults (SSAPS). Presented at the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association First Conference on Solution Focused Practices, Loma Linda University, CA.
- Shafer, K. (2004). Trauma and the substance abusing older adult: Innovative Questions for Accurate Assessment. Journal of Loss and Trauma, 345-358.
- Shafer, K. & Greenfield, F. (2000, 2002). Asthma Free in 21 Days: The Breakthrough Mindbody Healing Program,
- Harper-Collins Publisher, March 2000; paperback St. Marten’s Press, 2002.
- Waters, P. & Shafer, K. (July, 2005). Spirituality in Addiction Treatment and Recovery (a two-part series).
- Southern Coast Beacon. Southern Coast ATTC: The Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network, www.scattc.org.
- Weller, S. (2003). Yoga Beats Asthma. London: Thorsons.
Aging /Addiction Suggested Reading
- American Medical Association (1997). Alcoholism in the Elderly: Diagnosis,Treatment, Prevention. Guidelines for the Primary Care Physician. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- Berg, I. & Shafer, K. (in press). Language of solutions: Working with mandated substance abusing clients. Straussner, L. (ed.). Clinical Work With Substance Abusing Clients – 2nd edition. NY: Guilford Press, 2003.
- Cherpitel, C. (1997). Brief screening instruments for alcoholism. Alcohol Health & Research World, 21, 4, 348-351.
- Colleran, C. (2002). Aging & addiction: Helping older adults overcome alcohol or medication dependence. MN: Hazelden Publications.
- Coogle, C. & Osgood, N. (1998). Geriatric alcohol abuse and alcoholism: Current issues and future directions. The Southwest Journal on Aging, 14, 1, 185-189.
- Coogle, C.; Osgood, N.; & Parham, I. (2000). Addiction services: A statewide model detection and prevention program for geriatric alcoholism and alcohol abuse: Increased knowledge among service providers. Community Mental Health Journal, 36, 2, 137-148.
- Doweiko, H. (2001). Concepts of Chemical Dependency, (5th ed.) CA: Wadsworth.
- Dunlop, J.; Manghelli, D.; & Tolson, R. (1989). Senior alcohol and drug coalition statement of treatment philosophy for the elderly. Professional Counselor, 4(2), 39-42.
- Dupree, L.; Broskowski, H.; Schonfeld, L. (1984). The gerontology alcohol project: a behavioral treatment program for elderly alcohol abusers. Gerontologist, 24, 510-516.
- Feidler, K.; Pertica, S.; Leary, S. & Strohl, J. (October, 2002). Substance Abuse in Aging Adults: An Annotated Bibliography. Fact sheet produced by Caliber Associates under the National Evaluation Data Services (NEDS) contract to CSAT/OESAS (Contract No. 270-00-7078).
- Fingerhood, M. (2000). Substance abuse in older people. Journal of Geriatrics Society, 48, 985-995.
- Franklin, C. & Jordan, C. (May, 1995). Qualitative assessment: A methodological review. The Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 281-295.
- Graham, K; Saunders, S; Flower, M; Timney, C; Campbell, M; & Pietropaolo, A. (1995). Addiction Treatment for Older Adults. NY: The Haworth Press.
- Gurnack, A., Atkinson, R. & Osgood, N. (Eds). (2002). Treating Alcohol and Drug Abuse in the Elderly. NY: Springer, Inc.
- Gurnack, A. & Schonfeld, L. (1998). Substance misuse among older adults. Journal of Mental Health and Aging, 4, 195
- Hawranik, P. & Pangman, V. (2002). Perceptions of a senior citizens’ wellness center: The community’s voice. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 28(11), 38-44. Retrieved January 11, 2003 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Jennison, K. (1992). The impact of stressful life events and social support on drinking among older adults: A general population survey. International Journal on Aging and Human Development, 35, 2, 99-123.
- Kagan, H. & Shafer, K. (2001). Russian-speaking substance abusers: New country, old problems. In Straussner, L. (Ed.). Ethnocultural Factors in Substance Abuse Treatment. NY: The Guilford Press.
- King, M. & Bordnick, P. (2002). Alcohol use disorders: A social worker’s guide to clinical assessment. Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, 2, 1, 3-31.
- Kropf, N. & Thompkins, C. (Eds.) (2002). Teaching Aging: syllabi, resources, & infusion materials for the social work curriculum. Alexandria, VA: Council on Social Work Education.
- McInnis-Dittrich, K. (2002). Social Work With Elders: A Biopsychosocial Approach to Assessment and Intervention. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- National Institute on Aging (September, 2000). Talking With Your Doctor: A Guide for Older People.
- National Association of Social Workers (1995). Curriculum Modules on Alcohol and Other Drug Problems for Schools of Social Work.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (April, 2002). Screening for alcohol problems. Alcohol Alert, 56.
- Oslin, D. & Holden, R. (2002). Recognition and assessment of alcohol and drug dependence in the elderly. In Gurnack, A., Atkinson, R. & Osgood, N. (Eds). Treating Alcohol and Drug Abuse in the Elderly. NY: Springer.
- Pipher, M. (1999). Another Country: Navigating the Emotional Terrain of Our Elders. NY: Riverhead Books.
- Purdie, N. & McCrindle, A. (2002). Self regulation, self-efficacy and health behavior change in older adults. Educational Gerontology, 28, 379-400.
- Rubin, A & Babbie, E. (2001). Research Methods for Social Work. CA: Wadsworth.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (1998). Substance Abuse in Older Adults. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 26. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2002). Promoting Older Adult Health. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Sanjuan, P. M. & Langenbucher, J. W. (1999). Age-Limited populations: youth, adolescents, and older adults. In B. McGrady, and E. Epstein (Eds.), Addictions: A Comprehensive Guidebook. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Schonfeld, L.; Dupree, L.; Dickson-Furman, E.; Royer, C.; McDermott, C.; Rosansky, J.; Taylor, S.; & Jarvik, L.(2000). Cognitive-behavioral treatment of older veterans with substance abuse problems. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 13, 124-129.
- Schonfeld, L., Rohr, G., Zima, M. & Spiegel, T. (1993). Alcohol abuse and medication misuse in older adults as estimated by service providers. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 21, ½, 113-125.
- Schonfeld, L. & Dupree, L. (1997). Treatment alternatives for older alcohol abusers. In Gurnack, A. ed. Older Adults Misuse of Alcohol, Medicines, and Other Drugs. NY: Springer.
- Shafer, K. (2003). Trauma and substance abuse in older adults: Innovative questions for accurate assessment. Paper presented at the 2003 Council on Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Shafer, K. & Greenfield, F. (2002). Asthma-Free in 21 Days: The Breakthrough Mindbody Healing Program. NY: St. Martins Press.
- The National Council on the Aging (June, 2001). Benefits Check Up. http://www.benefitscheckup.org.
- Van Wormer, K. & Rae Davis, D. (2003). Addiction Treatment: A Strengths Perspective. CA: Brooks/Cole
- Villarosa, L. (2002, December 24). Recovering addicts help educate future doctors. New York Times. Retrieved January 11, 2003, from http://www.nytimes.com.